|From: Gordon, J. (2009). Training camp: what the best do better than everyone else: a fable about excellence . Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- When you face a setback, think of it as a defining moment that will lead to a future accomplishment.
- When you encounter adversity, remember the best don’t just face adversity; they embrace it, knowing it’s not a dead end but a detour to something greater and better.
- When you face negative people, know that the key to life is to stay positive in the face of negativity, not in the absence of it.
- When you face naysayers, remember the people who believed in you and spoke positive words to you.
- When you face critics, remember to tune them out and focus only on being the best you can be.
- When you wake up in the morning, take a morning walk of gratitude and prayer.
- When you fear, trust. Let your faith be greater than your doubt.
- When you fail, find the lesson in it, and then recognize a time when you have succeeded.
- When you head into battle, visualize success.
- When you are thinking about the past or worrying about the future, instead, focus on the present moment.
- When you want to complain, instead identify a solution.
- When your own self-doubt crowds your mind, weed it, and replace it with positive thoughts and positive self-talk.
- When you feel distracted, focus on your breathing, observe your surroundings clear your mind and get into the Zone.
- When you feel all is impossible, know that all things are possible.
- When you feel alone, think of all the people who have helped you along the way and who love and support you now.
- When you feel lost, pray for guidance.
- When you are tired and drained, remember to never, never, never give up.
- When you feel like you can’t do it, know that you can.
- When you feel like your situation is beyond your control, pray and surrender.
- When you’re in a high pressure situation in the game is on the line, and everyone is watching you, remember to smile, have fun and enjoy it.
Training Camp is available from the OSU Leadership Center. Click here to borrow this resource or any other resource. then click on the Spectrum icon.
Learn how the Ohio State University Leadership Center is inspiring others to take a leadership role that empowers the world at
To begin receiving Leadership Moments, or to update your information, please click on the Join Our Mailing List button.